The mission of NEASC is to assess and promote the quality of education through the accreditation of its members.
"Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges" assures that our members:
- Strive to achieve rigorous and common standards in education
- Demonstrate substantive institutional commitment to continual improvement
- Commit to balancing the creative tensions that exist between local autonomy and public authority
- Nurture individual creative accomplishment
Accreditation is a catalyst for school improvement.
The New England Association of Schools and Colleges aspires to provide a process for meaningful, ongoing whole school improvement while honoring the unique culture and context of each institution we support. In this spirit, we:
- Encourage the pursuit of a unique mission in distinctive circumstances by each member.
- Advocate for thoughtful self-reflection guided by meticulous peer review.
- Promote public recognition of the challenges that accredited institutions face both in common and in particular.
- Elucidate the value, philosophy and practice of accreditation for our member schools, the public, legislative bodies, and governing boards.
- Assist member schools in navigating accreditation in a context often dictated by federal, state, or local mandates and by limited means.
The New England Association of Schools and Colleges is a voluntary membership organization of public and independent schools and colleges. It is composed of four autonomous commissions serving public schools, independent schools, schools abroad, and institutions of higher education. Each commission decides matters of accreditation in the context of standards derived and reviewed by its membership.
The accreditation work of the commissions on public, independent, and schools abroad is reviewed and approved by the Board of Trustees.
The Commission on Institutions of Higher Education operates separately and independently in all matters of accreditation.
Along with the Board of Trustees, each of the four Commissions is dedicated to the accomplishment of the mission, assurance, and goals of the Association.
The Association is a not-for-profit corporation that adheres to fundamental principles of fairness and non-discrimination.
Approved by the NEASC Board of Trustees on December 4, 2013.